American Public Media Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at American Public Media Group
Who We Are:
The mission of American Public Media Group (APMG) is to enrich the mind and nourish the spirit, thereby enhancing the lives and expanding the perspectives of our audiences and assisting them in strengthening their communities. We aspire to be the leader in creating trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people, and we seek to create a diverse, inclusive culture focused on growth and outcomes to serve our audiences.
APMG's primary operating divisions Minnesota Public Radio, Southern California Public Radio and American Public Media offer multi-regional FM broadcast channels, website, mobile and social media channels, live events, national content creation and distribution. Together, these divisions operate 49 public radio stations and 42 translators serving regional audiences in eight states from Minnesota, Michigan and the Upper Midwest to Idaho and California; distribute a portfolio of more than twenty national programs reaching nearly 20MM listeners weekly through 1,000 radio stations; serve rapidly growing audiences on digital, social and mobile platforms; and produce an increasing and diverse array of podcasts featuring the best in food, culture, entertainment, mental health, water, early brain development, business and investigative journalism.
APMG is looking for a curious and experienced Payroll Manager to join our Human Resources Center of Excellence team. The Payroll Manager will provide functional and technical payroll expertise on complex, multi-jurisdiction payrolls.
The ideal candidate thrives on the details, has a knack for solving intricate and complex problems, is experienced with multi-state and local requirements, and has the desire and commitment to living our Values:
We focus on AUDIENCES.
We are LEADERS.
We are INCLUSIVE.
We act COURAGEOUSLY.
We build TRUST.
The Payroll Manager is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organizations bi-weekly, multi-state, multi-company payrolls. The Payroll Manager will ensure the accuracy of earnings, deductions, benefits, taxes and direct deposits; reporting and tax filing compliance.
Application Deadline: June 1, 2020
- Coordinate and process payrolls: batch miscellaneous hours & payments, expense reimbursements, deduction adjustments, and taxable income add-ons; make changes to direct deposits and taxes; calculate retroactive payments and gross to net calculations.
- Track and process deferred compensation, incentives and other miscellaneous taxable payments.
- Verify and validate system entries for completeness and accuracy; investigate and resolve irregular data.
- Set up deductions for benefits, payroll, and garnishment/levy/child support orders.
- Troubleshoot payroll processing issues and errors, and work with vendor to quickly resolve to meet tight payroll deadlines.
- Manage post-payroll files, funding requests and reports; work with vendors and Finance to ensure data is securely and timely sent.
- Balance and reconcile payrolls, taxes and deductions on a bi-weekly, quarterly and annual basis to ensure the proper treatment and reporting of earnings, deductions and taxable add-ons; track and ensure tax payments and filings are timely remitted and filed to governmental agencies by vendor.
- Process written and verbal employment verifications and respond to unemployment wage and termination information requests.
- Identify and implement automation initiatives to eliminate redundant and manual entries, processes and reconciliations.
- Review, research and recommend payroll setup adjustments to support changes in policy, regulatory requirements and new business initiatives.
- Provide payroll and tax compliance expertise to HR and management teams.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage and hour laws; correspond with tax agencies and vendors as needed; investigate, research and resolve discrepancies in timely manner; keep abreast of federal, state and local regulatory changes.
- Create and prepare regulatory, compliance, audit and management payroll reports.
- Coordinate payroll and workers compensation audits and assist with retirement plan audits.
- Coordinate with Sr HRIS Analyst on system enhancements and upgrades; test new functionalities and implement changes.
- Provide backup to HRIS and benefits functions as needed.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in accounting, HR or related field, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of experience with payroll processing and analysis
- Multi-state and local tax experience.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Proven ability to initiate change, embrace and learn new technology and systems, and support shifting priorities and responsibilities.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities and meet conflicting deadlines with a high level of accuracy in a fast and dynamic environment.
- Ability to troubleshoot, analyze and resolve discrepancies and errors.
- Ability to work with highly confidential and sensitive information where discretion is essential.
- In-depth understanding of regulatory requirements in payroll administration and tax reporting.
- Extensive knowledge of standard payroll practices and compliance requirements, including preparation, balancing, internal control and payroll taxes.
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office for reporting, analysis and communication.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with professional approach to customer service.
- Ability to work with cross-functional teams and ensure key players are involved when necessary.
- Solid interpersonal skills with a demonstrated ability to develop and maintain productive relationships with creative, energetic and demanding professionals.
- Demonstrated experience and competence to support the success of our increasingly diverse employee population.
- Experience with in-house payroll, benefits administration, accounting and HR processes a plus.
- Comfortable with using and learning advanced features within Excel, including ability to analyze and report data.
- UltiPro experience a plus.
Reporting To This Position: None
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position with or without reasonable accommodation
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for extended periods of time
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple grasping.
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
- Occasional exposure to prevalent weather conditions.
At American Public Media Group, workplace diversity and inclusion are key components of our strategic plan. An inclusive environment is one where employees feel pride in who we are and what we do, feel welcome in our culture, and see a future with us. Our strength lies in the diversity among the broad range of people who contribute their time and talents to APMG. We have a deep belief in our commitment to create trusted and meaningful listening experiences with and for curious people and consider inclusion a foundation of organizational success. It is our aim, therefore, that our leadership team, Board of Trustees, and employees reflect and embrace these core principles.
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.