Art Institute of Chicago
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Art Institute of Chicago
Under the direction of the Payroll Manager, supervises the timely and accurate production of the bi-weekly, semi-monthly, student and allowance payrolls including appropriate recordkeeping for all related documents. Understands and executes all internal and interfacing third party software systems used for payroll processing. Executes best payroll practices including compliance with all current federal, state, international tax laws and all Art Institute of Chicago established guidelines and policies.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the timely and accurate processing or review of all payrolls produced by the PeopleSoft Payroll system and associated interfacing systems. Includes a review and verification of all wage, tax, deduction and imported data received by the HR system. Understands the impact policies have on an employees pay.
- Maintains current knowledge of payroll principles and practices in order to analyze, audit, reconcile and resolve payroll issues to ensure smooth payroll processing under only limited supervision.
- Maintains full working knowledge of the PeopleSoft Payroll system, the Time and Attendance System and ADP tax and garnishment system to fully execute required processes and identify and resolve any system problems as they occur.
- Ensures proper governmental reporting and compliance, including assisting with year-end reporting and issuance of W2s and 1099Rs. Maintains current knowledge with federal, state and local laws, regulations and statutes and advises management on needed actions.
- Responsible for various payroll account balance sheet reconciliations on a monthly basis. Prepares journal entries as needed.
- Assists in the implementation of system, operational and procedural changes within the department. Assists Payroll Manager with testing of updates that impact all payroll systems.
- Supervises the Payroll Specialist and serves as back up for Payroll Specialist responsibilities as needed.
- Administers the various IRS regulated Transportation Benefits on a timely basis including uploads of the data to third party systems.
- Trains and educates employees on payroll related systems.
- Initiates and promotes efficiencies in regards to the various systems, operations and departmental procedures for the Payroll Department. Develops and maintains documentation for payroll staff and assists in maintaining the payroll Intranet site.
- Provides customer service on a timely basis to any inquiry from employees or outside parties. Maintains confidentially in handling all employee payroll situations, questions and documentation.
- Bachelors degree in Accounting or equivalent required
- 5 + years prior payroll experience working in a high volume, multi-cycle, multi-state payroll department.
- Working knowledge of accounting principles relating to funds disbursement, payroll tax statutory requirements and payment regulations.
- Experience with PeopleSoft 9.2 software and query preferred.
- Experience with ADP Employment Tax and Wage Garnishment modules preferred
- Certified Payroll Professional designation preferred.
- Intermediate skills using Microsoft Office products (Word and Excel) and Google products (g-mail, Google Docs).
- Above average customer service, communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to work as a team player in a high volume environment
Boxing up payroll documents at year-end and when needed. Ability to lift up to 35 lbs.
We offer a competitive, comprehensive benefits package:
- 5+ weeks of paid time off
- Paid holidays (up to 14 days)
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive retirement plan (up to 9% matching contribution)
- Tuition remission and Tuition Exchange Program
- Great employee discounts
- Complimentary general admission to participating cultural institutions
The Art Institute of Chicago is an equal opportunity, equal access employer fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace.
Please apply online at www.artic.edu/careers