City of Lynnwood
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Finance Specialist - Payroll
at City of Lynnwood
The City of Lynnwood is seeking a collaborative, inquisitive, team player to join our Payroll Department as a Senior Finance Specialist - Payroll. You will play an integral role in a busy, fast-paced environment with a group that continuously strives to exceed our customers' expectations. This role will work as part of a team of 3 that serves nearly 350 regular full-time employees across the city and up to 170 more seasonal/part-time staff. We are seeking a Payroll professional with a broad background, public sector experience will be extremely valuable in this role.
The mission of the City of Lynnwood Payroll Division is to partner with City departments to attract, sustain and inspire a thriving City workforce in their goal to provide outstanding service to our Lynnwood community. Our community is vibrant, welcoming and growing, with a diverse population who is actively engaged in shaping our City's future. Our Payroll staff support this community spirit by providing outstanding services to our City staff. The Payroll Division is part of the Administrative Services Department, which is responsible for providing accounting and payroll services to the City and for providing careful stewardship of the City's financial resources, which is essential to the City's financial sustainability and economic success
Our Ideal Candidate will:
- Be customer service focused.
- Have experience in senior level payroll processing, working with complex union contracts, knowledge of Munis Financial Systems and familiarity with DRS reporting.
- Have previous experience working in the public sector.
- Be a flexible, collaborative, curious, motivated, team-player.
- Value equity and respect.
- Have an eye for continuous improvement and developing effective and efficient payroll processes and procedures.
Under general supervision, incumbent audits incoming payroll data and coordinates processing of City's bi-weekly payroll. Individuals in this position are expected to perform research, data compilation, analysis and evaluation and take corrective action as needed.
Includes but is not limited to such essential functions as listed below:
- Oversee the timely and accurate preparation of the City's payroll and related information. Audit payroll register for completeness & accuracy; resolve and correct errors; prepare, distribute and maintain related reports; audit reports as required; maintain payroll records.
- Process personnel action notices for new employees, employee rate changes and any other employee change in status; process time cards; research discrepancies of payroll information and/or documentation to ensure accuracy and adherence to procedures prior to processing.
- Assign work and monitor timeliness and quality of work performed by other employees assisting in payroll. Document and update payroll procedures. Calculate and process lost and manual payroll and claims checks; prepare duplicate checks, make stop payment arrangements, and obtain Application for Duplicate Instrument Affidavit for City records.
- Coordinate annual open enrollment changes with Human Resources staff to ensure accurate and timely implementation of insurance changes. Process monthly changes for payment of various group insurance premiums, including medical, dental, and vision insurances.
- Calculate and prepare adjustments to employee retirement contributions for multiple retirement systems for reconciliation purposes; maintain accounts receivable in balance; process monthly transmittal reports.
- Reconcile deferred compensation and retiree health savings account balances.
- Calculate involuntary deductions, tax levies, child support, and creditor garnishment.
- Establish and maintain all payroll tables to reflect correct salaries, taxes, fringe benefit distribution, and individual payroll deductions; coordinate the preparation of annual payroll reports with Information Services.
- Maintain payroll records recording accumulation and use of sick leave, vacation, compensatory time and holidays. Prepare year end accruals. Prepare year end fringe reconciliation and retirement reconciliation. Maintain information on Trust and Agency Funds for annual report.
- Prepare cash transfer journal entry after each pay period.
- Reconcile and prepare quarterly and annual reports for all payroll taxes; compute Federal tax deposits; audit and review annual W-2 statements for all employees.
- Coordinate with Information Services and Human Resources staff regarding payroll/human resources information system matters. Test payroll system upgrades.
- Compile, reconcile and provide payroll budget data and information upon request.
- Interpret and implement provisions of multiple collective bargaining agreements to assure salary and benefits are accurately reported in the payroll system. Coordinate changes with Human Resources and Information Services staff.
- Provide technical assistance to payroll and human resources staff regarding the processing of payroll and resolving payroll issues; answer employees' questions regarding payroll procedures and calculations; respond to verbal and written inquiries from supervisors, department heads, and outside agencies.
- Prepare comp time payouts at year end and exempt overtime payouts per schedule.
- Calculate Firefighters Pension amounts for retirees for Board approval.
- Maintain regular attendance.
Associate's degree in accounting or finance or related field with CPP (Certified Payroll Professional) certification preferred, plus three (3) years experience in accounting or payroll activity, or an equivalent combination of related education and experience, valid Washington State Driver's License and a driving record acceptable to the City's insurance carrier.
This position is represented by Local 3035, Council 2, Washington State Council of County and City Employees AFSCME / AFL-CIO.