City of Maricopa
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Maricopa
- General Summary
- The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform technical accounting functions, including preparation of journal entries, and account reconciliations. This employee will perform a variety of technical level accounting duties involving the recording of financial transactions involved in City funds, and technical work in the preparation and administration of the City's budget. This employee will maintain written policies and procedures for all accounting and financial functions within the City.
- Essential Duties & Responsibilities
The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description.
- Records accounting activities and transactions, and prepares reconciliations; ensures accuracy and compliance with state, federal and local regulations and with generally accepted accounting principles.
- Reviews confidential personnel related reports.
- Assists with the calculation and processing of wages, overtime, deductions to ensure compliance with applicable regulations.
- Reviews assigned subsidiary ledgers to ensure that all transactions are accurately posted.
- Compiles information from departments in preparation of the City's operating and capital budgets.
- Assists in the preparation of a budget manual and related documents.
- Assist in the preparation of training materials.
- Assists in the assembling, organizing, reproduction of materials for presentations at budget workshops and seminars for City employees and City Council.
- Assist with the maintenance of accounting programs such as general ledger, payroll, accounts payable, fixes assets, capital projects, building permits, and sales tax reporting.
- Maintains databases, spreadsheets, tables, other data files.
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with City policies and procedures.
- Provides support in preparing for the yearly financial and occasional single audits.
- Responds to internal/external requests and provide assistance where necessary.
- Provides supporting documentation for audits.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum and Preferred Entrance Qualifications
MINIMUM ENTRANCE QUALIFICATIONS
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting, Finance, Public or Business Administration or related field.
- At least three (3) years of experience in performing accounting, budgeting or general ledger maintenance research and/or budgeting activities.
- Any equivalent combination of training, education, and experience that provides the required skills, knowledge and abilities.
- Competencies for Successful Performance of Job Duties
· Accounting principles, procedures, applications and budget preparation;
· Basic mathematical principles;
· Automated financial management software;
· Research techniques and methods of report presentation;
· Principles of policy formation and budget preparation;
· Data entry techniques;
· Project management methods and techniques and time management principles;
· Operation of personal computer and various software applications for word processing spreadsheets, graphic presentations, database management, etc.
· Interpret data and other information and make decisions in conformance with laws regulations and policies;
· Work with a team;
· Assume ownership of timely delivery of completed assigned tasks;
· Manage and execute multiple tasks;
· Challenge the status quo;
· Maintain records and files;
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City employees, supervisory personnel, state and local elected officials and the public;
· Communicate effectively both orally and in writing;
· Respond appropriately to public inquiries and present a positive public image;
· Perform detailed numerical computations;
· Troubleshoot finance related problems by identifying possible solutions;
Prepare, review and edit financial data.