City of Phoenix
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Tax Auditor
at City of Phoenix
ABOUT THIS POSITION
The Senior Tax Auditor position acts as lead auditor, supervising junior auditors in the performance of work assignments where joint effort is utilized. The incumbent is responsible for independently conducting large scale audits according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, Generally Accepted Auditing Principles and division requirements; examining highly complex accounting records of business firms to determine privilege (sales) and use tax liability; verifying accuracy of bookkeeping records such as invoices, sales journals, general ledgers, bank statements, and inventory entries; interpreting laws and regulations relating to the administration and compliance with the Phoenix Tax Code; providing education and assistance to taxpayers and staff regarding privilege (sales) tax; performing work in accordance with Generally Accepted Auditing Procedures and division requirements.
The ideal candidate will possess initiative, analytical skills and decision making abilities; excellent verbal and written communication; and tactful and effective communication with the business community. Positions may be required to perform independent research of tax issues and prepare written reports on privilege (sales) tax issues for the business community, taxpayers, and management.
First review of applications will occur the week of March 25, 2019. Recruitment will close when we have received a sufficient number of qualified applications.
$49,338 - $73,653 annually. Appointment may be made above the minimum depending upon qualifications.
A comprehensive benefits package is offered which includes traditional pension with employer and employee contributions; choice of medical HMO, PPO, or HSA plan; dental; vision; life insurance; long-term disability; 401(a) and 457 plans; medical enrollment includes a monthly $150 City contribution to a Post-Employment Health Plan; bus/light rail pass; tuition reimbursement program; paid time off includes 11.5 paid holidays, 12 vacation days, and 15 sick days. For more details, visit:
- Four years of progressively responsible accounting and auditing experience or two years of sales tax auditing experience.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, business administration, or a related field.
- An equivalent combination of related experience and education may be considered.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS - The job requirements listed above, plus:
- Fluency in a secondary language is desirable but not required.
- Experience using computer databases and spreadsheet software.
- Experience in supervising employees and/or acting in a team leader capacity.
- Experience in auditing medium to large business entities.
- The City job description can be foun:https://www.phoenix.gov/hrsite/JobDescriptions/03350.pdf
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online by completing the required information and attaching, as one document, your cover letter and resume. Please include your experience as it relates to the qualifications stated above. Only the highest qualified may be posted to the eligible to hire list.
YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME,
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- All finalists for positions are subject to a criminal background check applicable to the department or position.
- For other important information related to employment with the City of Phoenix, please click here.
- Link to All City of Phoenix Employment Opportunities
- If you need assistance applying for this job, please contact our HR Connection Center at (602) 495-5700.
Senior Tax Auditor, Job Code #03350, ID#31121, 3/11/19 CH, Supervisory and Professional, Q
City of Phoenix employees commit to Work Smart, Be Kind, Spend Wisely.
City of Phoenix is an equal opportunity employer. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni who meet the required qualifications are encouraged to apply.