County of Bernalillo
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at County of Bernalillo
- Position Summary & Duties Responsible
Classification specifications are intended to present a descriptive list of the range of duties performed by employees in this classification. Specifications are not intended to reflect all duties performed within the job.
Under direction, performs advanced professional accounting duties within an assigned department, division or fiscal program; functional areas of responsibility include general ledger, enterprise funds, grants, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and treasury; departmental assignments may include the compilation, review, monitoring and reporting on department specific budgets; analyzes and approves financial transactions; prepares a variety of financial reports; and performs other related duties as assigned.
This is the advanced journey level within the Accountant classification series. This classification is distinguished from the classification of Accountant in that positions at the Senior level are assigned significant responsibilities above the journey level; possess specialized knowledge, abilities, skills, and experience; and often exercise independent judgment in the performance of their duties. Advanced journey-level classifications may provide direct or lead supervision over lower-level staff, when such assignments are a formal organizational responsibility supervising at least three subordinate staff members. This classification is distinguished from the Principal Accountant in that positions in the Principal level are assigned formal responsibility for supervising and directing the staff, operations and activities of a fiscal section.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Performs a variety of complex accounting duties within an assigned department, division or fiscal program; functional areas of responsibility include general ledger, enterprise funds, grants, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and treasury.
- May plan, direct and supervise the work of professional, technical or clerical staff; participates in the selection process; conducts performance evaluations, or provides input into same; provides training and employee development; documents performance issues and discusses corrective actions with management and human resources; recommends corrective or disciplinary action.
- Conducts specialized training on assigned program responsibilities such as grants and categorization of project expenditures, ensuring timely capitalization or assets and project closures.
- Works with departmental accounting staff to oversee entries.
- Reviews, analyzes and monitors budgets for departmental programs and projects; interprets financial data to ensure that proper resources are allocated for performance objectives; performs accounting functions within the program or budget including reconciliations, Line Item Transfers, journal entries and purchasing activities; identifies discrepancies and monitors financial activities.
- Monitors projects for financial position and budget performance; works with Project Managers to discuss availability of resources; conducts year end reviews to determine status of project and funding adequacy; creates Financial Resolutions and Administrative Financial Resolutions to request new, or changed, funding and to transfer said funding to appropriate cost center.
- Plans, prepares, reviews, analyzes and monitors grant applications; maintains project files; processes requests for reimbursement and budget adjustments.
- Plans and coordinates new department programs and grant initiatives through meeting with stakeholders, and planning and implementing grant acquisition options.
- Reviews and analyzes a variety of accounting records and fiscal activities to ensure accuracy and compliance with accounting/program/legal requirements.
- Reviews financial transactions to ensure that (i) proper cost centers are charged, and (ii) expenditures and revenues are within approved budget.
- Creates journal entries in the general ledger.
- Schedules and facilitates program annual budget review and quarterly budget review meetings for assigned department.
- Prepares a variety of reports for the department, the Budget Office, and the Deputy County Manager including position listing, revenue graphs, appropriation and expenditure reports performance measures and objective.
- Maintains a variety of electronic and hard copy files and documents.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Minimum Qualifications
Education: Possession of a Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution, with major coursework in accounting, finance or a closely related field.
Experience: Four (4) years of increasingly responsible professional accounting experience; depending on assignment, one (1) year of lead supervisory experience is required. OR any combination of education and/or experience totaling eight (8) years of increasingly responsible professional accounting; depending on assignment, one (1) year of lead supervisory experience is required.
- Supplemental Information
- Operations, services and processes within a County department including accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, budget, treasury, financial reporting and related fiscal areas.
- Operations, services and activities within County government.
- Principles of direct and lead supervision, training and performance evaluation.
- Principles and practices of budget preparation, analysis and administration.
- Principles and practices of accounting standards.
- Principles and practices of grant accounting and billing.
- Accounting structure of assigned department.
- Operational characteristics of automated financial systems and how to navigate within these systems.
- Principles and practices of project management.
- Principles and practices of effective time management.
- Modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computers and software applications relevant to the work.
- Methods and techniques of compiling and summarizing fiscal data.
- Principles and practices of financial record keeping.
- Principles and practices of customer service.
- English usage, grammar, spelling, vocabulary, and punctuation.
- Federal, State, and local laws, ordinances and regulations related to assigned area of responsibility.
- Perform professional accounting duties in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Plan, lead, direct, assign, supervise, monitor, review and evaluate the work of assigned staff.
- Ensure the provision of staff training.
- Understand and use the County's specialized financial operations, processes and software applications.
- Apply specialized accounting rules within functional areas of responsibility.
- Analyze, interpret and reconcile fiscal documents.
- Prioritize and work under deadlines.
- Serve as a resource to assigned staff.
- Perform complex accounting and financial functions.
- Verify, reconcile and balance financial transactions.
- Enter data into the County's financial system.
- Prepare a variety of fiscal reports in assigned areas of responsibility.
- Maintain a variety of financial records and files.
- Understand and follow oral and/or written policies, procedures, and instructions.
- Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
COUNTY OF BERNALILLO IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER