Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lead Payroll Specialist
A Company That Strives to Improve Outcomes
Providing unique services that go above and beyond to protect and support our clients in the delivery of healthcare, is who we are. We stand apart from other medical liability insurance companies by providing services that leverage data analytics to reduce risks, and though leadership articles, blogs, white papers, and educational materials to improve patient outcomes. We dont settle for business as usual, and we strive to be leaders in the evolving healthcare market. Our core product may be trusted insurance, but we package and deliver it with so much more. If you are ready to contribute to a company that is taking its industry by storm and making a difference in healthcare, Coverys is for you.
The Lead Payroll Specialist oversees all aspects of the enterprise payroll functions. The role is responsible for ensuring consistency and governance of payroll throughout a multi-state, multi-employer enterprise. The Lead Payroll Specialist is responsible for ensuring payroll is processed and reported timely and accurately according to company policies, as well as in conformance with federal and state regulations.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Reviews, reconciles, and audits pay details on a bi-weekly basis, working with the payroll administrator.
- Provide oversight for all payroll-related processes, procedures and functions.
- Is accountable for the timely and accurate processing of pay. Reviews payroll data reports for inconsistencies and errors, and maintains the integrity of the payroll system.
- Manages payroll tax administration. Responsible for liaising with the payroll vendor or the state/local jurisdictions directly to troubleshoot any tax related issues.
- Manages regular preparation of reports, including end of pay period/monthly/quarterly/year-end reports (PTO, tax payments, salary changes, etc.) and perform reconciliation on a pay period and quarterly basis.
- Provide Ad-hoc reports and metrics on Payroll/HR related data; i.e. financial and operational.
- Provides effective leadership, supervision, and guidance to payroll team members to enable them to succeed in their job. Directly provides oversight to junior staff and responds to all personnel inquiries regarding payroll; provides timely resolution to any known issues. Point of contact for all payroll related inquiries, including governmental agencies.
- Supports HR team members with payroll-related questions and issues. Assists team members in answering customers inquiries and questions, and researching, troubleshooting, and resolving cases relating to customers. Ensures quality service is delivered.
- Interpret established HR policies to employees and managers and educate them on how to apply the policies.
- Continually review and analyze payroll processes, benefits and tax procedures in order to recommend and implement updates and changes necessary for compliance and increased efficiencies.
- Maintains knowledge of legal requirements affecting general HR and payroll functions in an effort to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations.
- Responsible for any wage garnishments and support orders in compliance with federal and state requirements.
- Oversee the management and overall maintenance of the payroll/ HCM system, while ensuring consistency and data integrity across the enterprise. Work with HCM vendors to update, maintain and test updates and corrections as well as resolve complex issues.
- Ensure the input of new hires, transfers, promotions and terminations are accurate, timely, and aligned with payroll processing.
- Oversees retirement plan contribution mapping and employer match calculations. Supports annual audits.
- Provides support and oversight to the annual payroll and workers compensation audits.
- Annually review and reconcile W-2s.
- Work with Accounting on GL related questions.
- Write and structure internal communications for special projects as necessary.
- Provide research, reporting, and analytical support as requested.
Skill / Requirements
Education, Requirements & Competencies
- Bachelors Degree; 5+ years of Multi-State Payroll experience required; 3-5 years of experience of payroll processing; knowledge of international payroll processing a plus.
- Payroll certification preferred. Candidates without this certification must be willing to obtain it upon hire.
- Possesses high degree of knowledge of multi state pay practices, labor laws, tax rules and benefit impacts.
- Strong knowledge of the payroll function including preparation, balancing, internal control, and payroll taxes.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point required.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality and trustworthiness.
- Ability to think outside the box to solve complex problems.
- A team spirit and cooperative attitude, professional and pleasant demeanor.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient with payroll software (ADP WorkforceNow & Workday).
- High level knowledge of payroll best practices and policies.
Coverys is an equal-opportunity employer. Coverys job openings are open to all without regard to race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, religion, age, height, weight, disability, political beliefs, sexual orientation, marital status, family status, or veteran status.