Job Title: Accountant Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Department: Diocese of Tucson Pastoral Center - Fiscal Department
Primary Function: Under the direction of the Controller or CFO, is responsible for the day-to-day bookkeeping functions of the accounting department and the development and monitoring of the budget. Working independently, the individual is also responsible for processing payroll and assists in the administration of employee benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs in support of the mission of the Diocese and the Catholic Church.
- Abide by Catholic principles in the individual’s professional and private life, and shall govern his/her professional and private life in strict accordance with Catholic morals and principles to demonstrate complete adherence to Catholic moral strictures ?
- Foster communication and works collaboratively with all other employees
- Record daily collections and other cash receipts
- Writes and posts journal entries to the general ledger
- Reconciles the general ledger and all investment account activity reports
- Performs all bank reconciliations
- Reconciles monthly credit card activity report to bank activity and credit card slips
- Reconciles financials; maintains and oversees all petty cash funds
- Analyze expenses and purchase practices for savings.
- Maintain asset and vendor contract files
- Process payments to vendors and others, maintain payable files
- Track receivables and payables
- Tracking of project expenditures
- Prepare annual financial and other financial reports as necessary
- Prepare operating and capital budgets for review and approval
- Verifies the accuracy and proper approval of all payroll time sheets
- Maintains all payroll records and reviews all payroll journal entries
- Assists in directing and administering employee benefits
- Prepare employees census including industrial insurance information; prepare and maintain employment records; assist in the enrollment of employees in benefit programs
- Serves as main contact and works with the Diocese Human Resources department
- Oversee financial aspects of the parish and other related fundraisers
- Work with financial auditors
- Assist in organization and preparation of Board meetings, committee meetings and special events
- Performs other duties as assigned
Physical / Mental Requirements: Requires coordination and manual dexterity, normal mental and visual ability; ability to lift as required in normal office environment.
Required Activities: Walking; sitting; standing; stooping; reaching; talking; hearing; carrying; and keyboarding.
- A working knowledge of and a strong commitment to the mission of fostering lay leadership in the Roman Catholic Church. If a baptized Catholic, must be a practicing Roman Catholic in full communion with the Church.
- Excellent communications skills including written, verbal, public speaking and presentation skills
- Excellent project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Flexibility in assessing needs and strategies and adapt appropriately in a ministerial environment
- Maintains a working knowledge of human resource law and regulations; continues professional education in relevant areas
- Carries out all responsibilities with balance, empathy, sensitivity and patience; pay attention to detail and be well organized
- Apply leadership skills as required
- Type 50 WPM; proficient with 10 key calculator
- Ability to work under minimal supervision
- Professional bearing and clean and neat personal appearance
- The ability to successfully complete a criminal history and background check
- Ability to successfully pass a bookkeeping test
- Clean and neat professional appearance
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Business, Public Administration, a related field from an accredited institution, or equivalent experience.
- Five years’ experience as an Accountant in a medium to large firm.
- Proficient with computer skills to include word processing and spreadsheet preparation
- Working knowledge of automated accounting and payroll systems
- Bi-lingual (English/Spanish)
- CPA Certification