Eagle River Water & Sanitation District Careers
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Director of Finance
at Eagle River Water & Sanitation District Careers
Clean Water. Quality Life.™ As our community’s drinking water provider, we are a steward of public funds collected to provide a vital service to our community. We take that responsibility very seriously and strive to foster customer confidence through clarity, honesty, accountability, and transparency. We are currently looking for a Director of Finance to uphold our values and elevate our Finance Department. Working as a Director of Finance at our organization puts you at the forefront of decision making and long term planning in a community and environmentally focused organization.
The Director of Finance role will collaborate with the leadership team to support the mission of the organization and ensure efficient use of district funds and will work to drive value and cost effective measures with all district finances. The ideal candidate is communicative, team-focused, and a strategic thinker with a mindset geared to long term vision and success. In addition to budgeting work, financial analysis, and investment work, this role will also oversee the accounting function of the organization and a small, dedicated team of finance and accounting professionals.
Why work for us? The work you will do as the Director of Finance puts you at the forefront of decision making and long term planning in a community and environmentally focused organization. Not to mention our excellent benefits, housing program, opportunities to learn, attend conferences, and trainings.
The Day to Day:
DYNAMIC LEADERSHIP: The Director of Finance serves as a positive and engaged member of the District Management Team and manages employees for optimum productivity. This role takes a proactive approach to the management of employee performance while creating and maintaining a supportive, professional, and open environment, consistent with the District’s culture. A manager at ERWSD encourages leadership at all levels within the District as well as communicates the Vision, Mission, Values, and team norms of the District to employees frequently and consistently.
This role will lead, direct and develop finance team members and accounting staff. The Director of Finance will also be serve the point of resolution for high level issues and will ensure department accuracy and compliance as it relates to District finance.
DEPARTMENTAL COLLABORATION: The Director of Finance will collaborate with other departments to provide guidance, compliance adherence, and technical advice on budget submissions, supplemental budget requests, and budgetary analysis developing options, suggestions, and recommendations. Leads financial planning activities and assists elected directors, department leaders, and staff in financial problem solving and analysis. Partners with Human Resources to oversee effective and compliant payroll and retirement plan administration.
EFFECTIVE PROCESSES AND COMPLIANCE: Leads and directs development and implementation of policies, business processes, procedures and programs to ensure efficient use of district funds and implements cost effectiveness and efficiency measures. Oversees compliance and seeks to improve the process and workflow for finance related functions, including budgeting, forecasting, accounting (general ledger, AP/AR, purchasing cards, payroll, etc.), contract administration, and bond work. Oversees staff input to and participates in audit preparation, execution, and reporting. Supervises accounting functions, including record keeping in accordance with GAAP, governmental entity requirements, and internal policies and procedures. Provides requested financial information to the public, State and Federal governmental agencies, bond underwriters, lawyers, auditors, other departments, other special districts, board members, etc., as requested and as needed to meet regulatory requirements.
FINANCIAL ANALYSIS FOR LONG RANGE PLANNING: The Director of Finance will oversee and participate in detailed rate analysis and coordinate with other departments regarding billing rates, tap fees, collections, etc. Identifies risks and liabilities associated with District and Authority financial planning; determines methods and resources needed to successfully address risks, liabilities, and legal implications. Provides timely and relevant data for decision making and to catalyze improvements. Secures financial underwriting services; serves as District representative in the administration of debt and issuance of bonds.
CUSTOMER CONFIDENCE: This role will present to the Board of Director, public, customers, and management team on finance related items including bond proceedings, mill levy requests, annual budget, and rate analysis and changes.
THE BIG PICTURE: Eagle River Water and Sanitation District has a responsibility to our customers and to the environment. The Director of Finance is responsible for managing and integrating a full range of finance and accounting related functions and activities to ensure efficient use of public funds.
- Passion for water and for environmental protection are a must.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university in Business Administration, Finance, Accounting or related field and five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Expert understanding of modern principles and practices of government budget management, accounting, financial systems, and ability to apply that knowledge in strategic planning and complex problem solving required.
- Demonstrated communication skills and ability to collaborate in a way that promotes open exchange of information, respect, and high ethical standards.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects and ability meet stated deadlines.
- Experience in leading and coordinating of people in a team-based environment required.
- Must be able to tactfully, respectfully and professionally communicate in English, both written and verbal.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Demonstrated public speaking skills required, including the ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from employees, Board of Directors, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Must be able to build and maintain strong relationships with other District Departments and town, county, and state agencies.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills are a must.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality required.
- Must have the ability to identify issues, think through problems and come up with creative solutions.
- Pleasant attitude and an ability to work honestly, and with integrity required.
- The ability to work as a member of a team is a must.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Excel in particular, required.
- Must possess a valid Colorado Driver's license within 30 days of full time employment and be insurable under District's standards.
- Must obtain CPR/First Aid Certification within the first six (6) months of employment.
- Required to follow all District safety and security policies and wear Personal Protective Equipment as required by the job duties
The pay range for this role is $108,000 to $162,000. Hiring range depends on qualifications.
All applicants must apply online at www.erwsd.org by October 10, 2020 to be considered. All employees must be insurable under District standards, submit to a pre-employment drug screen and extensive background check.
Please contact email@example.com for a full job description (contains physical requirements and work environment description) or for any additional questions.