Fairfax County Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Payroll Tax and Compliance Manager Accountant III
at Fairfax County Government
This job announcement is being re-advertised. If you previously applied to req. #20-01688, you do not need to re-apply in order to be considered.
Manages all functions related to the collection and remittance of federal and state income taxes for a large employer (over 21,000 W-2 forms annually), quarterly and annual tax reporting, issuance of W-2's and administration of worker compensation adjustments. Responsible for the biweekly reconciliation and reporting of payroll taxes. Reconciles GL accounts to payroll liability accounts on a biweekly basis. Verifies and requests final payments for deceased employees. Supervises the administration of all voluntary or involuntary wage assignments/adjustments functions (e.g. garnishments, tax levies, child support payments, creditor payments). Assists in the biweekly processing of payroll for over 15,000 employees. Ensures accurate and timely payment to the Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) for unemployment claims.
(The illustrative duties listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all inclusive list. A complete list of position duties and unique physical requirements can be found in the position job description.)
- Supervises staff in preparation of highly complex and diversified financial reports with a countywide impact required by federal and state, including the county's comprehensive annual financial report (CAFR);
- Serves as a lead consultant and coordinates training opportunities for county departments on accounting and financial reporting matters;
- Participates in development and implementation of countywide policies and procedures pertaining to accounting and financial reporting;
- Coordinates programs with countywide impact (i.e., Integrated Customer Assistance Compliance program, Internal Controls program);
- Participates in the management and oversight of countywide policies and procedures.
Required Knowledge Skills and Abilities
(The knowledge, skills and abilities listed in this specification are representative of the class but are not an all inclusive list.)
- Considerable knowledge of the principles, methods, and practices of governmental accounting and fiscal management, and the ability to apply them to complex governmental accounting systems;
- Considerable knowledge of federal, state and county procedures, policies, regulations and legislation impacting the maintenance of county financial records and reports;
- Knowledge of electronic financial data processing systems;
- Ability to plan, direct, and supervise the activities of professional accountants engaged in complex accounting work;
- Ability to prepare and/or coordinate the preparation of comprehensive, complex accounting reports and records;
- Ability to develop and implement sound accounting policies and procedures.
Skill / Requirements
- Extensive knowledge of payroll tax laws, regulations and reporting requirements;
- Extensive knowledge of rules and regulations governing garnishments, tax levies and child support payments;
- Strong understanding of accounting and financial functions;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Attention to detail a must;
- Five plus years of supervisory experience;
- Strong oral and written communication skills;
- Exceptional customer service skills;
- Ability to think analytically and strategically;
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience using the SAP Enterprise Resource Planning system with emphasis in human capital management (HCM) and Finance (FI);
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
Only applications submitted through the link will be considered. No emails.