Harris County Auditor's Office
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Payroll Director
at Harris County Auditor's Office
The incumbent will oversee and participate in payroll processing to ensure timely and accurate payrolls; oversee year-end processing and reconciliation of W2s; implement and enforce payroll policies and procedures; recruit new payroll staff and evaluate personnel performance; prepare comprehensive financial and statistical reports related to payroll; collaborate on payroll business processes with stakeholders throughout the County.
The Assistant Payroll Director reports to the Director of Payroll with direct, hands-on responsibility for:
- Assisting with the management of a centralized payroll-processing unit utilizing a complex payroll system.
- Assisting with the development of various HR payroll processes (e.g., remuneration/tax/insurance calculations, benefits administration, workflow, etc.) that meet the future needs of the County using knowledge of the business process and the related platform functionality to be implemented.
- Assisting with the development of a fully automated payroll that is compliant and meets the laws of Federal, State, and Local. The individual in this position will interpret Harris County Personnel Regulations and other payroll laws and rules and ensure compliance.
- Working with the ERP implementation project team to deliver a successful project within the defined scope and deliverables on time and on budget according to the project plan. In addition to being hands-on, the successful candidate will be knowledgeable of federal and state regulations, including wage and hour, tax, garnishment and reporting laws to ensure the company is compliant with federal and state agencies.
WHAT WE OFFER:
• Competitive Salary of up to $105,000 Per Annum
• Vibrant Downtown Houston Location
• Excellent Benefits and Wellness Programs
• Zero-Premium Employee Only Medical Plan
• Outstanding Retirement Program
• Continuing Professional Education Available
• Collaborative Environment
Qualified candidates must possess a Bachelor’s degree, from an accredited university. Bachelors in Finance or Accounting preferred. Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) or equivalent also preferred. Knowledge of PeopleSoft Human Capital Management, 3rd Party Time & Attendance systems, and vendor management a plus.
Required experience includes:
• Minimum five (5) years of operational payroll experience
• Minimum three (3) years in a supervisory payroll role
• Experience with tier one payroll system
In addition to the above, a well-qualified candidate must also have:
• Demonstrated ability to perform under and meet deadlines while managing multiple projects and requests
• Proficiency in the use of MS Office (with an emphasis on Excel)
• Strong communication skills, including written and oral communication skills
• Excellent presentation skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with both individuals as well as large groups
• Ability to effectively communicate at all levels both within the Auditor’s Office and the County
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment, as well as to get results through collaboration and coordination with multiple stakeholders, both internal and external
• Good analytical and process diagnostic skills and ability to get into the details, while also seeing and understanding the big picture
Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. We do not provide visa sponsorship.
Physical requirements for the position are the ability to sit for extended periods and the ability to push/pull, lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
TO APPLY: Submit your resume via email to Apps.HCAO@aud.hctx.net. Please indicate the title and position number in the subject line of the email.