Harris Health is a nationally recognized health system comprising three teaching hospitals and an extensive network of ambulatory care centers serving the people of Harris County, Texas, since 1966. Staffed by the faculty, fellows and residents from two nationally ranked medical schools, Baylor College of Medicine and The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston (UTHealth), Harris Health is the first healthcare system in Houston to receive the prestigious National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) designation for its network of patient-centered medical homes.
Each year, Harris Health provides more than 1.8 million total outpatient visits through its more than 40 ambulatory care facilities. Additionally, Harris Health sees more than 177,000 emergency visits at its Level 1 and Level 3 trauma centers and 35,000 hospital admissions through its three hospitals: Ben Taub, LBJ and Quentin Mease.
Established by voter referendum to enhance the level of charity care available in the community, Harris Health System has often received national recognition for serving those in need and for its achievements in operational excellence, such as being named to the 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Most Wired Hospitals lists by the American Hospital Association’s Hospitals & Health Networks magazine.
Additionally, Harris Health System is pleased that each of its three hospitals — Ben Taub, Lyndon B. Johnson and Quentin Mease — achieved Pathway to Excellence™ designation by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Epic Analysts - Community Connect
The Harris Health System Community Connect Program extends our Epic system - including clinical, business, ancillary and reporting functionality - to local, non-Harris Health System healthcare partners. Our goal is to improve coordination of care for our shared patients with our affiliate partners via a single, shared electronic medical record.
Harris Health System is about to begin several new, large Community Connect implementation projects. These will not be your run-of-the-mill, family practice implementations as these new affiliate customers have some very unique workflows and functionality. We are looking for self-motivated and experienced EMR analysts to assist with development, go-live, and long-term optimization and support. If you enjoy creative, out of the box problem-solving that combines technical, workflow, and relationship management skills and keeps you on your toes – we have the perfect job for you!
The Epic Analysts will capture current state workflows, produce process and gap analyses, map future-state workflows, and conduct needs assessments. Analysts will be responsible for all aspects of assigned Epic module build, testing, validation, go-live readiness, implementation, and on-going support of Community Connect affiliate partners.
The Epic Analysts will be expected to interface closely with all levels of Community Connect affiliate partner leadership and staff. Analysts will collaborate effectively with a multi-disciplinary group of Community Connect teammates, including Cadence, Prelude, Billing, HIM, Lab, Imaging, Pharmacy, Interface, Technical, MyChart, Ambulatory, and Inpatient clinical analysts.
The Epic Analysts will obtain and maintain in-depth knowledge of Epic software functionality and acquire knowledge of existing Harris Health workflows and build to be used as a foundation for Community Connect implementations.
- Participates in core Epic Community Connect activities: design, build, test, implement and support.
- Demonstrates an understanding of Epic functionality and how clinical, business, and ancillary modules interact.
- Works closely with users to identify problems and provide solutions. Demonstrates an understanding of users’ needs.
- Provides troubleshooting for all applications and software within assigned area.
- Works independently on problems of moderate scope where analysis may involves multiple factors.
- Analyzes reasonably complex issues and develops/implements solutions with general guidance.
- Thinks outside the box to creatively solve problems while staying aligned with existing, foundation build.
- Monitors lab interface error queue and resolves issues.
- Participates as needed to install upgrades, patches and fixes.
- Manages issues/risks and escalate as required.
- Assists in the design, delivery, and maintenance of related training programs and materials.
- Seeks workflow guidance and technical information from managers and teammates as needed.
- Provides weekly status reports.
- Tracks effort hours by customer and task using a Time Management software system.
- Educates users informally to ensure efficient and effective use of Epic system as designed.
- Available for after hours, on-call rotation shifts as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Clinical Informatics, Business Administration or related field or equivalent education and experience in a healthcare IT environment.
- 5 years’ work experience in Information Systems
- 3 years’ Epic analysis and build experience (or other large EMR system - Allscripts, Cerner, etc.), including experience implementing advanced systems that cross multiple disciplines.
- Experience with Community Connect build strongly preferred.
- Experience with Lab build and Lab interfaces a huge plus.
- Strong attention to detail with advanced knowledge of clinic process and workflows.
- Understanding of Epic system capabilities to address process requirements
- Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Excellent communication (written and verbal) and interpersonal skills. Able to communicate effectively with technical teammates, as well as managers and customers/users.
- Current Epic certification in a primary module required (Ambulatory, Inpatient, Cadence, HB, PB, Prelude, etc.)
- Independent, energetic, creative, and self-motivated team player
The Epic Business Analyst III ensures that the operational interests of their respective functional areas are being fully represented in the day-to-day operations of the Information Systems Department. This role supports all application deployed within the Harris Health System.
Education/Specialized Training/Licensure: Computer Science Bachelor Degree or Related Experience
Work Experience (Years and Area):
5+ Years within I.S.
Three (3) Years Hospital Health Care Organizations Business Analysis
Epic Cadence, Grand Central/Prelude build and analysis experience
Management Experience (Years and Area): Resource oversight experience
Communication Skills: Above Average Verbal (Heavy Public Contact), Exceptional Verbal (e.g., Public Speaking) Writing/Composing (Correspondence/Reports)
Other Skills: Analytical, Design, Research, Statistical
Typical duties that may be performed:
- Must fully understand functional processes and business rules related to the applications being implemented/supported
- Participate in requirements analysis sessions and develop design specifications for reports and application configuration (may be called on to facilitate small analysis sessions)
- Participate in process workflow sessions and develop workflow maps (may be called on to facilitate small workflow sessions)
- Must have a thorough understanding of the limitations and opportunities presented by the applications supported
- Must be able to recommend process improvements based upon industry standard in addition to resolving integrated process issues.
- Coordinate with Vendors on the implementation of their products
- Identify tasks and levels of effort for the implementation of solutions
- Configure applications with minimal input from more experienced analysts and assist less experienced employees
- Assist Manager/Director with interviewing potential candidates
- Report project activity and status to management
- Identify, resolve and escalate project issues (when necessary) in a reasonable period of time
- Develop clear and concise documentation that facilitates repeatable configuration and migration of the applications
- Provide information to I.T. Education as needed to support training activities
- Develop and execute test scripts that thoroughly exercise the system
- Perform application troubleshooting and problem solving
- Must be able to handle multiple activities simultaneously, be able to prioritize effectively, and meet overlapping deadlines
- Escalate issues appropriately and expeditiously to appropriate individuals
- Be on call (after hours) as needed
Harris Health System benefits program is designed to provide you with more flexibility and choices in meeting your specific needs. Harris Health System benefits program allows you to protect your income in case of illness, death and disability, and to help you save for retirement.
It is the policy of Harris Health System to provide equal opportunity for all applicants for employment regardless political affiliation, race, color, national origin, age, sex, religious creed or disability. Applicants may request any reasonable accommodation(s) to participate in the application process.