Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Technical Accounting Specialist
at Laredo Petroleum
This position reports to the Supervisor of Financial Reporting and performs contract review, prepares technical accounting journal entries, assists with technical accounting research, and assists with internal and external financial reporting activities (10-K, 10-Q, 8-K and Proxy).
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Under supervision, responsibilities will include but not limited to the following essential functions:
- Prepares technical accounting journal entries, such as revenue and lease accounting, in accordance with ASC 606 and 842, respectively.
- Prepares monthly account reconciliations and performs related analyses.
- Analyzes new and amended contracts for ASC 606 and ASC 842.
- Collaborates with Operating and Marketing groups to facilitate completeness of assessment of contractual arrangements.
- Analyzes Purchase and Sale Agreements and communicates with internal and external sources to prepare closing and post-closing statements, along with related journal entries for acquisitions and divestitures.
- Participates in research and application of GAAP and SEC regulatory requirements.
- Acts as a technical accounting resource for the company by assisting with researching, resolving and documenting accounting issues that arise during the quarter.
- Assists with the preparation of quarterly and annual SEC reports, including MD&A and iXBRL tagging utilizing the Wdesk platform.
- Prepares tie-out packages of external and internal reports.
- Assists with SOX 404 compliance activities and fields internal and external audit requests and questions.
- Other tasks and ad hoc projects as assigned.
EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
- Bachelor's degree in accounting from an accredited university
- CPA license required
- 5 years of accounting experience, preferably in the oil and gas industry
- Big 4 and industry experience preferred
- Strong knowledge of SEC Reporting and GAAP, preferably ASC 606 and ASC 842
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to develop written communications suitable for external and internal audiences
- Must be detail oriented, analytical and possess technical proficiency in all aspects of financial analysis and accounting, including the ability to analyze and interpret accounting information
- Ability to manage a number of complex matters in a fast pace, high-intensity work environment which includes high volume periods such as month/quarter/year-end close
- Ability to establish working relationships with key internal customers and work effectively with your team
- Candidate must be self-motivated, take the initiative to accomplish work and take ownership of projects assigned
- Must be proficient in MS products
COMPENSATION: Salary is commensurate with experience.
Work is normally performed in a climate-controlled environment, where exposure to conditions of extreme heat/cold, poor ventilation, fumes and gases is very limited. Noise level is moderate and includes sounds of a normal office environment. No environmental hazards are encountered in performance of normal job duties.
Work normally requires finger dexterity and eye-hand coordination to operate computer keyboard at moderate skill level. Work may require occasional pushing, pulling, or carrying 20-pound objects such as files, documents, boxes, etc. Work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve standing and walking for brief periods. Travel is not required.