Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Accounting Operations Supervisor (810111)
The Accounting Operations Supervisor reports to the Director Property Accounting, has a focus on utility accrual calculations and supervises at least two Bank Reconciliation Accountants to ensure the Bank Reconciliation Department operates efficiently and maintains all deadlines. Additionally, this role has all of the responsibilities of the General Ledger Accountant for a smaller portfolio of properties. The successful candidate will embody and work to reinforce MAA’s Core Values. Those values include:
- Appreciating the uniqueness of each individual
- Communicating openly and with integrity
- Embracing opportunities
- Doing the right thing at the right time for the right reasons
Duties and Responsibilities
- Supervises a team of accounting professionals within the Bank Reconciliation Department; participates in hiring, coaching and performance management of team members
- Oversees and completes the monthly general accounting function for an assigned portfolio of properties for month-end close
- Prepares journal entries to post to the general ledger; prepares financial statements and other reports for each property and reviews financial statements for completeness and accuracy
- Assists in the completion of daily, weekly and monthly assignments of the Bank Reconciliation team as needed
- Reviews and approves all bank reconciliations and cash balances after completion
- Reviews and approves all property level cash journal entries
- Calculates and reviews utility expense and reimbursement accruals for the entire portfolio of properties
- Oversees the escheatment process to ensure that the due diligence requirements and reporting deadlines are met for each state
- Prepares variance analysis for utility expenses and reimbursements for the entire portfolio of properties
- Identifies, develops, documents and implements innovative and improved processes to automate and enhance efficiencies of the bank reconciliation accounting activities and the utility accrual process
- Maintains and applies knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Policies and Procedures (GAAP) to property accounting activities and ensures compliance
- Provides team with direction, guidance and coaching to ensure department efficiency and effectiveness as well as associate development
- Travels occasionally (5-10%) for on-site meetings and events
- Performs other related duties as assigned to meet the needs of the business
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or a closely related field required
- Six years of professional accounting experience required
- Previous experience in a supervisory role required
- Master’s degree and/or CPA preferred
- Previous experience in project management preferred
- Previous experience with Yardi system preferred
- Previous experience with high volume bank reconciliation preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of banking system and intercompany accounts
- Knowledge of all core accounting principles and best practices, including GAAP
- Skill in supervision and leadership to assess, coach, develop and manage performance of others
- Skill in managing projects, organizing, prioritizing, and meeting time-sensitive deadlines
- Skill in process management to develop, document, analyze and improve processes and procedures
- Skill and ability to clearly and concisely communicate verbally and in writing
- Skill in quantitative and qualitative analysis and attention to details
- Skill in applying critical thinking, analysis and problem-solving methods
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and PowerPoint)
Physical and Environmental Requirements
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms.
This position requires the ability to occasionally lift office products and supplies, up to 20 pounds.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
MAA is a real estate investment trust (REIT) that focuses on the acquisition, selective development, redevelopment and management of multifamily homes throughout the Southeastern and Southwestern regions of the United States.
Our mission at MAA is to deliver superior service and value for our residents, employees and shareholders. We refer to this as creating "A Brighter View" and we are doing it every day.
In fact, we proudly display "Our Brighter View" plaques at every MAA office just to serve as a daily reminder of our focused mission. MAA is committed to remaining true to our rich tradition of service to each other, to our residents, and to our shareholders. We respect the privilege to providing value to those whose lives we touch.
Please click on the links below to learn more about MAA’s culture and corporate charity as well as view MAA’s Corporate Profile: