Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Make-A-Wish Foundation
Together, we create life-changing wishes for children with critical illnesses. This is our mission at Make-A-Wish America. The Accounting Manager is a key contributor to the mission by managing all financial reporting aspects for Make-A-Wish Chapters around the country. Accurate and timely financial statements, analysis, and documentation for our Chapters enable them to continue to grant wishes. In this role you would work directly with the Director of Finance for our Centralized Financial Services, and regularly interface with multiple levels of leadership at our National and Chapter offices.
CLICK HERE to see how Make-A-Wish America team members describe the rewarding work we do!
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of financial accounting including generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and financial statement preparation to ensure accurate, efficient, timely financial reporting and related processes.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills to network with other departments within the organization, as well as externally with chapter personnel and the chapter’s Board of Directors, regarding various issues related to the financial reporting process.
- Excellent knowledge of internal and management control systems.
- Familiarity with audit planning processes and procedures.
- Excellent knowledge of accounting and information systems applications, preferably in a non profit environment.
- Ability to handle sensitive information with a high level of trust and confidentiality and possess strong business ethics.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manages chapter’s daily financial needs including bank reconciliations, balance sheet reconciliations, and the creation of journal entries.
- Drafts of internal and external financial statements, ensuring monthly close is accurate and timely.
- Monitors chapter performance to budget by cost centers and inform Director of Finance and chapter leadership of significant variances.
- Monitors chapter’s accounting activity to ensure appropriate recording of revenue and payments to vendors with terms.
- Work with the Raiser’s Edge system to ensure appropriate coding and reporting of chapter revenue streams.
- Serves as primary liaison between the Centralized Financial Services department and a defined number of chapters. Provide reports, queries, and analysis to chapters for account activity, revenue, expenses, etc.
- Assists chapter in preparation of annual budget.
- Acts as key staff person in annual internal and external audit process communicating with National Office, Chapters, and external auditors.
- Review and evaluate time and use studies used in allocating the indirect costs of the chapters using
- May lead others in the accounting processes for chapters.
- Performs other job related duties, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, or related field required.
- 4 – 6 years of experience in accounting and/or financial reporting required.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office applications required, including demonstrated expertise in Microsoft Excel.
- CPA designation preferred.
- Working knowledge of nonprofit organizations is helpful.
Rewards and Benefits
- Competitive compensation with annual incentive potential
- Comprehensive benefit package: Medical, Vision, Dental, Wellness
*100% employer paid for employee*
- Health and Flexible Spending Account Options
- Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability and Life Insurance
*100% employer paid for employee*
- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan
- 15 PTO days, 10 Paid Holidays, 2 Personal Days
- Maternity Leave
- Educational Tuition Assistance
- Employee Awards and Recognition Programs
- Individual and Leadership Development
- Discounts and special offers for theme parks, events, hotels, concerts, and movie tickets
Join Our Team of Inspired People Transforming Lives
We are more than a great place to work - our work is life changing. We are an inclusive and diverse group of people who, through a mosaic of backgrounds, thoughts, and experiences are united in purposeful work. We are fueled and guided by our values - values that are represented in the inspired people we work with and the transformational work we do every day.
We respect and ensure equal opportunity, regardless of race, religion, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, perceived disability and other legally protected characteristics.