Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
1351 - Accountant (Financial Control & Reporting)
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Finance and Risk Management Department.
Salary Grade: 42
This position within the Financial Control and Reporting division is primarily responsible for preparing journal entries for interdepartmental charges, reviewing bank account reconciliations, and maintaining the capital asset ledger. This involves frequent interaction with department personnel in order to obtain the information necessary to process journal entries and monitor departmental bank accounts. This position also works closely with individuals that prepare interim and year-end financial reports according to Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) for inclusion in the County's Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
Proof of education will be required at time of interview.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Establishes and maintains journals and ledgers of financial transactions;
Reviews accounts payable charges for validity and conformance to adopted departmental budgets;
Authorizes payments of valid charges;
Establishes and monitors purchasing accounting procedures;
Reviews and verifies purchase requisitions to ensure proper coding;
Bills, posts and balances accounts receivables;
Posts, balances and maintains accounting records unique to departmental operations;
Reviews accounting reports for accuracy in revenues and expenditures and makes necessary corrections and transfers of funds;
Reviews transactions for coding and cost accounting purposes;
Audits and reconciles various accounting records and documentation prepared by others;
Recommends, implements and maintains accounting internal controls;
Researches problems and answers questions regarding accounting procedures or documentation;
Reconciles and monitors various accounting records, reports and funds;
Prepares cost centers;
Maintains equipment utilization and inventory accounting systems;
May supervise, train and evaluate support personnel.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
. accounting principles, practices and methods;
. financial record keeping practices;
. cost accounting, governmental accounting and auditing procedures;
. County accounting policies and procedures;
. manual and automated accounting systems.
. analyzing and interpreting financial and accounting records and preparing financial statements and reports;
. establishing and maintaining manual and automated accounting systems and databases;
. communicating effectively;
. training employees and scheduling work.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in accounting or a closely related field as defined by the Appointing Authority. [Professional-level accounting experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a year-for-year basis; four years of professional experience in accounting may be substituted for the degree requirement.][Paraprofessional accounting experience may be substituted for the educational requirement on a two-to-one basis, e.g., two years of paraprofessional experience may be substituted for one year of education.]
(2) An Associates degree or at least 30 semester hours in accounting from an accredited college or university and two years of professional accounting experience . [Four years of paraprofessional accounting experience may be substituted for the two years of professional experience.]
(3) Three years of experience with Pima County as a Senior Accounting Support Specialist.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
(Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- A Bachelor's degree in Accounting.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office tools (with particular emphasis on Microsoft Excel).
- Experience performing account reconciliations.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions require a valid Arizona Class D driver license at the time of application. Failure to obtain/maintain required licensure shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: Some positions may require the successful completion of a background investigation by authorized law enforcement personnel due to the need for access to detention, courts, corrections and/or law enforcement facilities or associated confidential information, documents and materials.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.