Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Jemez Pueblo
- Job ID
- # of Openings
Under direct supervision of Accounting Supervisor, the GL Accountant is responsible for performing general ledger and related accounting functions for multiple funds, enterprises, and departments owned or administered by the Pueblo of Jemez. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
- Uses MIP accounting software and Microsoft Office software to maintain the general ledger and related journals in accurate and timely order.
- Maintains the company's general ledger and subsidiary ledger accounts; verify and post details of business transitions to the general ledger.
- Develops and maintains working relationships with Program Managers and Directors of assigned funds, enterprises or departments.
- Prepares account analysis of specific accounts.
- Prepares bank reconciliation for assigned accounts.
- Prepares and executes reimbursement requests and draw requests.
- Maintains fixed asset listing and calculate depreciation and book value; record additions, deletions, and depreciation; reconcile listing to the general ledger.
- Prepares assigned balance sheet account reconciliations and follow-up on noted discrepancies.
- Assists in preparing schedules and supporting documentation for annual financial audits.
- Responsible for assigned month end closing tasks. Prepares month-end adjusting journal entries.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by: conducting research; attending seminars, educational workshops, classes and conferences; reviewing professional publications; establishing networks; participating in professional societies; and conferring with representatives of contracting agencies and related organizations.
- Contributes to a team effort and accomplishes related results as required.
- Performs other duties as required by Senior Management.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or a closely related field; AND five (5) years of general ledger accounting; and/or direct experience in this occupation totaling seven (7) years may substitute for the required education and experience.
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Principles, practices and terminology of general, fund and government auditing and budgeting.
- Principles and practices of both internal and external audits.
- Principles and practices of business data processing, particularly related to the processing of accounting information.
- Applicable laws regulating public fiscal operation.
- Auditing and reconciliation principles and methods.
- Principles and practices of developing teams, motivating employees and managing in a team environment.
- Records management principles and practices.
- Techniques for dealing with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone.
- Analyzing, balancing reviewing, interpreting and reconciling financial reports and transactions.
- Ensuring proper authorization and documentation for disbursements and other transactions.
- Preparing clear, concise and complete work papers.
- Making accurate mathematic and statistical calculations.
- Using software applications related to accounting functions.
- Using initiative and independent judgment within general policy guidelines.
- Dealing successfully with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, ethnic and cultural backgrounds, in person and over the telephone standards.
REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS:
New Mexico Driver’s License.