The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
ACCOUNTING CLERK II (A/P)
at The Geo Group
Facility: HECTOR GARZA CENTER
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Abraxas Youth and Family Services is a national leader in the operation of residential treatment facilities and community-based programs for troubled youth and their families. We offer a wide array of services to include life skills, mental health services, cognitive behavioral therapy, family counseling, drug and alcohol treatment, case management services, recreational activities as well as vocational and educational services. Abraxas is a great place to start your career whether you have a high school diploma or GED, military experience, some college, or a bachelor or advanced degree. If you are interested in counseling, juvenile justice, psychology, social work, teaching or just want to make a difference, we have a career path for you. Help change lives at Abraxas Youth and Family Services.
The position provides a full range of services to assist in the accounting activities to include various general financial accounting practices and specific regulatory accounting functions by performing the following duties:
- Calculates month-end accruals during month-end financial reporting.
- Handles Accounts Payable for the facility including utilities, medical invoices, contract personnel, and all other approved vendors in a correct and timely manner.
- Enter invoices into appropriate databases, assign accounting codes, and ensure invoices are submitted for processing payments.
- Processes all purchase requisition orders for the facility to include issuing purchase orders.
- Verifies items are received according to proper accounting principles.
- Maintains bank accounts with accompanying accounting systems to include posting entries daily to the account and ensuring proper checks are cut from the account for payment.
- Maintains bank accounts to ensure strict compliance with policy in regards to what can be purchased out of each account.
- Balances and reconciles accounts on a monthly basis against the bank statement.
- Tracks all invoices paid each month to prepare a monthly subcontracting report.
- Tracks all invoices that the facility does not pay sales tax on and prepares monthly sales tax reports.
- Prepare weekly deposits to local banks.
- Create various spreadsheets and file appropriate procedures for month end reports and closing procedures.
- Responds to incoming telephone calls and takes messages in the absence of management personnel.
- Interact with outside referral agencies of client releases/transfers and initiate procurement of social security cards and birth certificates.
- Maintains strict control of all equipment and supplies used in performance of duty especially those items that could be used for illicit purposes. Reports any missing or damaged items immediately to appropriate supervisory staff.
- Attend staff meetings and conferences.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Associate degree in business administration or related field and minimum one year experience in payroll processing and accounting.
- Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Ability to apply basic math skills concepts such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Word processing, email, and spreadsheets
- At least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Criminal clearances (Act 33 and 34 clearances, specific State and child clearances and if necessary FBI).
- Valid driver's license.
- Valid registered vehicle insurance.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hand to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms and use legs to lift/move up to 50 lbs. or more.
- Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work effectively in a fast pace office environment.
- The noise level in the work place is usually moderate.