The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
ACCOUNTS PAYABLE CLERK
at The Geo Group
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: J3V73G5YNTWF29NMSLJ
Facility: BROWARD TRANSITION CENTER
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Assists management in performing month-end financial transactions. Responsible for accounts payable at the facility, by ensuring that all bills are paid correctly and on a timely basis. Responsible for monitoring and maintaining an accounting system associated with the Commissary and Inmate Welfare Accounts.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Calculates month-end accruals during month-end financial reporting.
- Handles Accounts Payable for the facility including utilities, medical invoices, contract personnel, and all other approved vendors in a correct and timely basis.
- Processes all purchase requisition orders for the facility to include issuing purchase orders.
- Verifies items are received according to proper accounting principles.
- Request checks from corporate for payments that do not go through the purchase order process.
- Maintains bank accounts with accompanying accounting systems (Inmate Welfare Account and Commissary Account) to include posting entries daily to the account and ensuring proper checks are cut from the account for payment.
- Maintains bank accounts to ensure strict compliance with policy in regards to what can be purchased out of each account.
- Balances and reconciles accounts on a monthly basis against the bank statement.
- Tracks all invoices paid each month to prepare a monthly subcontracting report.
- Tracks all invoices that the facility does not pay sales tax on and prepares monthly sales tax reports.
- Completes a monthly Commissary Profit & Loss Statement.
- Responsible for initial vendor set-ups and ensuring that the vendor files are kept up-to-date.
- Prepare weekly deposits to local banks.
- Develops and submits required reports relative to the Commissary and Inmate Welfare Accounts.
- Responds to incoming telephone calls and takes messages in the absence of management personnel.
- Maintains strict control of all equipment and supplies used in performance of duty especially those items that could be used for illicit purposes. Reports any missing or damaged items immediately to appropriate supervisory staff.
- Assists in maintaining facility security, especially in area of responsibility, and promptly reports any violations or security hazards to appropriate supervisory staff. Provides assistance at other clerical posts as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent certification required. Courses in high school accounting or accounting for bookkeepers offered by a college preferred.
- Three (3) years of progressive clerical experience with emphasis on fiscal and accounting duties.
- Two (2) years bookkeeping experience preferred.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.
- Working knowledge of bookkeeping practices and business English with good grammatical and spelling skills, and ability to develop correspondence, reports and operational directives.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to understand and carry out moderately complex oral and written instructions; to make minor decisions in accordance with rules and regulations as they apply to work problems; to maintain company records; and to meet and deal effectively with the public and inmates.
- Must be able to deal with people in a variety of changing and complex situations.
- Ability to understand and carry out moderately complex oral and written instructions.
- General clerical aptitude required, with related work experience in a clerical environment preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office [Excel & Word]
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!