The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SR TAX ACCOUNTANT, INDIRECT
at The Geo Group
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
This position is responsible for sales and use tax returns compliance, business registration, and business license compliance. It implements, maintains, and reviews tax systems, procedures, and policies in the sales and use tax area. Assists as a liaison between the company, government, and external auditors by providing the required information for sales and use tax audits and ensuring that proper information is maintained for historical purposes.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Calculates monthly, quarterly, semi-annual, and annual sales tax returns and prepares related returns.
- Ensures all filings are timely and accurately prepared.
- Maintains the Company’s business and sales and use tax licenses.
- Assists with Sarbanes Oxley compliance within area of responsibility.
- Conducts tax research & planning assignments.
- Assists with maintenance of taxability matrix.
- Works closely with accounting and other groups to obtain and validate information for tax preparation.
- Assists in developing responses for requests related to State audits as well as gathering necessary information.
- Gathers documents and information from facilities as needed.
- Accesses and retrieves reports from the data systems.
- Monitors the tax calendar for time sensitive reporting.
- Maintains general ledger balances of selected tax accounts, including performing related quarterly reconciliations.
- Assists with documentation and implementation of Fixed Assets policy and procedure for reporting liability to taxing jurisdictions.
- Assists with documentation and implementation of tax policies and procedures.
- Assists with due diligence on acquisitions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting and five (5) years of experience in taxation. Master's degree in accounting, taxation or business administration is desirable.
- Must have a multi-state tax background.
- Must have OneSource Sales and Use Tax Compliance or Vertex Software application experience.
- Must have extensive and proven independent experience in preparation and review of tax returns.
- Must possess strong Excel and other computer skills.
- Must present effective oral and written communication skills. Must possess strong organizational skills and work-paper techniques. Must be a confident decision-maker able to produce accurate results with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read and analyze financial reports and legal documents. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers and other departments.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference a plus.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.