The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at The Geo Group
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Under direct supervision, this position prepares standard federal, state, local income tax returns and performs basic tax research. In addition, this position assists in significant value-added federal and state tax planning, recurring compliance projects, and various aspects of accounting, with special emphasis on income taxes. This position may also assists in other aspects of the company's tax profile including foreign, sales and property tax, when needed.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepares domestic consolidated corporate income tax returns (federal and state), partnership and other related returns as well as all detailed back-up documentation.
- Assists with tax research & planning assignments.
- Assists with tax due diligence and integration on business acquisitions.
- Assists with the computation and preparation of quarterly income tax estimates.
- Assists with personal property and state sales tax compliance aspects.
- Develops responses for requests related to all federal and state notices.
- Assists with tax examinations, including gathering necessary information.
- Maintains and updates tax calendars.
- Assists with maintaining general ledger balances of selected tax accounts including performing related quarterly reconciliations.
- Assists with the review and analysis of tax books within the fixed asset system including reconciliations of any GAAP books and tax books differences.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting. Master's degree is accounting, taxation, or business administration is desirable.
- One to three years experience in the tax area. General accounting experience may be taken into consideration at management's discretion.
- Above average written and verbal communication skills. Ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals.
- Must possess strong Excel and other computer skills.
- Experience with Thomson Reuters OneSource software, including OneSource Provision, OneSource Income Tax and OneSource Workflow, and BNA Depreciation software a plus.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from managers.
- Must possess strong organizational skills and work-paper techniques.
- Must be a confident decision-maker able to produce accurate results with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read and analyze financial reports and legal documents.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as probability and statistical inference.
- Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.