Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Payroll Specialist
at Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center
Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center, Inc. is looking for a Senior Payroll Specialist. Performs all activities necessary to process payroll, including maintain related records, filing tax reports and voluntary deduction reports, processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and preparing special reports for management. Incumbent is solely responsible for all payroll related activities. This position works closely under the direction and supervision of Controller to implement quality control measures for ensuring accuracy in fiscal reporting systems. In addition, the position is responsible for producing special reports and conducting specific audits for the department according to the organizations financial management and fiscal control policies.
Tiburcio Vasquez Health Center, Inc. is a non-profit community health center that is dedicated to promoting the health and well-being of our community by providing accessible, high quality care by integrating primary care, dental care, WIC support, mental health counseling, community health education and more.
- Ensures timely processing of all staff payroll in accordance with labor regulations and standard accounting principles. Develops systems and protocols to direct the collection, calculation and entering of pay data.
- Works with Information Technology, Human Resources and other contacts (including third-party vendors) to ensure security protocols are in place for all pay systems.
- Maintains updated procedure manual for payroll processing and assists in training of other staff on the payroll system (ADP) in a "super-user" role, to troubleshoot general user questions or basic technical issues.
- Keeps abreast of current payroll tax requirements and relevant laws associated with the processing of employee wage data, including payroll taxes, employee federal and state income and social security taxes, and other required reporting (SUI, workers compensation, deferred benefits, etc).
- Advises management on pay practices related to FLSA, fringe benefit reporting, W-9 and W-4 recording.
- Processes quarterly 941, Bureau of Labor Statistics and fiscal year-end reports and reconciles W-2 information for accuracy. Reports errors in payroll accounting to the proper management representative. Documents any discrepancies in payroll processing to maintain a clear record of reconciliation and adjustments.
- Works with the Human Resources department to coordinate employee leaves of absence under FMLA, CFRA or other unpaid leaves. When requested, keeps accurate records of employee unemployment and disability insurance payments to ensure no overlap in state benefits and wage payments occur.
- Processes wage garnishments, pay levies, and other involuntary court-ordered payments in a timely manner, including reporting to the necessary State office or jurisdiction and assisting employees with general process questions.
- Works with current pay vendor (ADP) for technical issues with time-reporting systems (handpunch) and resolves any discrepancies resulting from glitches or malfunction of the time reporting hardware.
- Assists staff with general questions related to payroll, leave accruals, wage deductions, fringe benefits, and other pay related issues.
- Attends workshops, online trainings and seminars to gain greater systems knowledge (ADP). Provides updated protocols and procedures to system users based on trainings.
- Conducts regular payroll reporting as required and assists with financial audits related to pay records and associated general ledger.
- Supports the annual budgeting process by working closely with CFO, Senior HR Manager, and Management in analysis of payroll costs by department / cost center.
- Maintains the Accountings computer software (Sage 100): posting ADP salaries and wages, and fringe benefits.
- Performs data entry related to bi-weekly payroll processing, and accounts payables relating to payment of Fringe Benefits.
- Allocates payroll based on operating budget and enters payroll journal entries in SAGE 100 system.
- Performs filing and upkeep of employee payroll records.
- Generates computer report of payroll activities for the Chief Financial Officer.
- Assists Accountant in clinic operations accounts data input and report writing.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Skill / Requirements
- Must be a self-starter and able to accomplish expected tasks under minimal supervision; Ability to multi-task and maintain composure under pressure.
- Knowledge of general bookkeeping, accounting and filing procedures/practices, modern office methods and related equipment.
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills with proven understanding of payroll systems. Experience with ADP Workforce Now highly preferred.
- Training and/or experience with computer data entry and ability to type a minimum of 45 WPM. Ability to operate a 10 key calculator by touch.
- Possess a thorough understanding of the importance of confidentiality and non-disclosure according to the general standards set forth by HIPAA.
- Must have the ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and tact; excellent customer services and interpersonal communication skills; Cultural sensitivity and demonstrated ability to work with diverse people groups.
- Valid California Drivers License, insurance, and ability to accept travel assignments as required to perform duties.
Education and Eperience:
- Minimum one year of college level accounting courses, associate degree or minimum 1 year of accounting experience required.
- Requires 3 - 5 years of payroll accounting/human resources experience.