Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Payroll Manager, Flexible Location
Use your Payroll acumen to help transform education!
TNTP seeks a full-time Payroll Manager for the Finance Department. This position can be based out of TNTPs central office in New York, NY or from a home office anywhere is the U.S and is available immediately. Occasional travel is required.?
Who We Are
A national nonprofit founded by teachers, TNTP believes our nations public schools can offer all children an excellent education. Today were a diverse team from a wide range of fields, united by a fierce commitment to helping school systems end educational inequality. We work at every level of the public education system to attract and train talented teachers and school leaders, ensure rigorous and engaging classrooms, and create environments that prioritize great teaching and accelerate student learning.
TNTPs Finance department is responsible for developing and executing the fiscal strategy for our growing and financially thriving $60M+ organization of more than 350 full-time employees across the country. The Finance department is a dynamic team of experts who dont just report on numbers, they dig into them, proactively make recommendations, and develop and manage progressive systems that keep our organization running strong.
What Youll Do
As the Payroll Manager, you will partner with others on TNTPs Legal team and HR Operations specialists to process payroll for the 350+ employees that work across the United States.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Serve as the payroll and time tracking administrator within Workday and ADP, staying up to date on Workday releases and assessing their impact to payroll processing, time tracking, and absence management
- Ensure payroll is processed and consistently delivered in an accurate, timely, and compliant manner. This includes the biweekly processing of multi-state payrolls, including benefit contributions, federal and state tax deductions and garnishments for over 350 FTEs and up to 500 part-time/seasonal staff in all 50 states and Puerto Rico
- Ensure that payroll tax withholdings reflect employee work location as reported on timesheets
- Ensure that timesheets are submitted and approved for all employees in accordance with TNTPs internal policies
- Work with ADP and Workday to ensure timely and accurate W2 processing for all employees, specifically ensuring W-2's accurately reflect state withholdings per work location recorded via time tracking
- Review 941 reconciliations on a quarterly basis
- Compile accurate reports on payroll data for regular audits and annual Form 990
- Lead the annual workers compensation audit through collaborating with others in the Organization to provide our auditor requested audit files in a timely manner
- Calculate gross-ups and process payroll adjustments for taxable fringe benefits (gift cards, taxable commuter benefits, multi-state tax relief payments)
- Ensure that employee status changes are reflected in each payroll
- Provide ongoing service and support for all payroll and time tracking queries
- Maintain up-to-data payroll policies and procedures
- Partner with Talent & Culture, HR Operations, Technology and Finance to continuously implement process and system improvements of payroll functionality in Workday
- Partner with HR Operations and Finance to coordinate the review of payroll accounting outputs from Workday
- Partner with the legal team to maintain and proactively research compliance with all applicable HR related laws including wage and hour law, state paid family leaves, and multi-state compliance of such laws
- Work on special projects, as needed
What You Bring
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to change childrens lives through education. Youll be right at home here if you learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, understand the power of diversity, advocate for equity, aspire to lead through inclusion, and push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level.
We expect our Payroll Manager to:
- Be thorough and accurate. You will be tasked with cleaning data for integrity, identifying and addressing inconsistencies in our financial operations, and developing solutions. You will have strong project management and organizational skills, helping you manage multiple priorities with attention to detail.
- Love Data. You enjoy analyzing financial data and are able to present findings in a clear, actionable way. If you enjoy data, we think you might enjoy working with us (we like other things too, like good food).
- Be a natural problem-solver. You can quickly identify challenges, analyze the root causes, and propose solutions and tools to help staff.
- Provide strong support to TNTP staff. Youll regularly interact with staff, providing high levels of customer service and motivating them to make changes. You have an ability to communicate directly, concisely and with a balanced tone, in writing and verbally.
- Be willing to step up to the plate. Youre eager to contribute and learn, willing to provide solutions before we even know there are issues. You make ongoing process improvements.
- Build a strong team that attains its goals, by effectively attracting, onboarding and evaluating staff. You enjoy providing relevant and timely feedback, coaching, technical assistance and effective development opportunities to staff
- Be a strong manager of people. You are effective at supervising others, developing talent, and retaining top performers.
What We Offer
TNTP offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position with the potential for an annual performance based bonus. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering the majority of the employee premium for the base medical plan and subsidizing the majority of costs for a spouse/domestic partner and children. Other benefits include dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, parenting benefits, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, commuter benefits, referral bonuses, professional development, and a 403(b) plan with employer matching. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work every day. TNTP may offer a relocation stipend to defray the cost of moving for this role, if applicable.?
Its in your best interest to apply as soon as possible. We recommend including a cover letter in your application addressing why you are interested in TNTP and how your experience has prepared you for this position.??
Please submit your application online.????
TNTP is an equal employment opportunity employer committed to maintaining a non-discriminatory work environment. TNTP does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, arrest record, conviction record, or any other personal characteristic protected by applicable law. This policy covers all programs, services, policies, and procedures of TNTP, including recruiting, hiring, training, promotion, and administering all personnel actions, such as compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs or terminations.?
Skill / Requirements
Additional qualifications include:
- Workday Payroll Module experience, required
- 5 years of payroll experience in a company of at least 300 employees
- Strong knowledge of Federal and State payroll regulations and key areas of compliance
- Knowledge of payroll best practices
- Strong people management skills, including experience effectively developing and retaining talent
- Ability to communicate with various levels of management and staff
- Strong work ethic and team player
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office, including proficiency in Excel