University of Minnesota
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Financial Analyst II (Payroll)
at University of Minnesota
Are you a problem solver who enjoys working in a team and developing solutions to solve complex business problems? University Services at the University of Minnesota has an open position for a Payroll Analyst. This is a great opportunity for someone who is looking for a hybrid business and technical position. The candidate must have PL/SQL experience, experience with an HRMS system, and preferably experience with Kronos Workforce Central.
The Financial Analyst II - Payroll processes timely and accurate payroll and related services for University Services. This position is the payroll HRMS-PeopleSoft subject-matter expert for University Services. The Payroll Analyst is accountable for addressing and resolving complex payroll matters.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Payroll Administration - 20%
- Ensure compliance with all requirements through analysis and review of union contract provisions, other governing documents, departmental or University policies, past decisions that have established practices, and consultation with University Services Human Resources staff.
- Ability to effectively communicate policies, contract provisions and other payroll, human resources and financial requirements to employees at all levels of the organization.
- Manage payroll workflow in Kronos/HRMS-PeopleSoft to ensure accurate and timely processing of all payroll transactions, such as new hires, terminations, etc. Prepare, enter, audit and conduct a final review before distributing payroll; research and resolve any issues.
2. Payroll/HR Database Analyst/Developer - 55%
- Manage payroll interface processing from Kronos to HRMS. Review a copy of the file before it is processed by HRMS. This position is the on-call resource for OIT and HRMS staff for resolution of Kronos interface processing problems and coordination of scheduling changes.
- Table custodian for all setup tables in HRMS, Kronos and the U Services Payroll database that control the operation of the payroll interface. Three HRMS functions are loaded by this interface: Time and Labor, Absence Management and Trade Union fringe benefits.
- Handle the administration of Kronos time and attendance software and ensure proper setup of employee information and valid data transfers to/from payroll services.
3. Reporting - 15%
- Facilitates reporting that combines data from one or more of the connected databases.
- Frequently needed queries for common inquiries are designed and maintained by this position as parameter-driven inquiries which are used by the U Services Payroll and U Services HR staff.
- Creation of one-time reports originating from an external request often require this position to evaluate the requirements through effective questioning of the requestor and clear explanation of any data limitations that may affect the usability of the results.
4. HRMS Administration - 10%
- Partner with counterparts in HRMS to ensure that payroll processes are well integrated with dependent and corresponding processes, supporting data integrity, and high standards of accuracy.
- Serve as a key resource on the payroll operations. Maintain responsibility for the interpretation and administration of University policies and procedures pertaining to payroll functions including time, absence, and payroll processing.
- Work with Labor Relations and HRMS staff on implementation of union contract provisions in Kronos and HRMS.
- Advise U Services HR staff and managers and supervisors in supported units on the appropriate methods for preparing and submitting documents to be processed in HRMS.
Skill / Requirements
Required qualifications, skills and experience:
- Bachelors degree in Accounting, Computer Science/Information Technology, or related area of study and eight years of experience
- Experience with Oracle SQL to create and maintain applications
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, work well under pressure and meet strict deadlines
- Effectively analyze Information to resolve complex problems
Desired qualifications, skills and experience:
- 5 years of payroll experience
- Experience with HRMS-PeopleSoft payroll software
- Experience with Kronos time and attendance software
- Experience creating and designing reports using Crystal Reports
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Job Applications" page and uploading documents in the "My Cover Letters and Attachments" section.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).