UNM Medical Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Accounts Payable Specialist
at UNM Medical Group
Commensurate with experience
# of Openings:
Job Code/Title: B0020 / Accounts Payable Specialist
FLSA: Non- Exempt
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
BEST CONSIDERATION DATE: MARCH 15, 2019
UNM Medical Group, Inc. (UNMMG) is the practice plan organization for physicians and other medical providers associated with the UNM Health Sciences Center. UNM Medical Group, Inc. is a New Mexico non-profit corporation and is an equal opportunity employer. UNMMG offers a competitive salary and an attractive benefit package which includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance as well as tuition assistance, paid leave and 403b retirement for benefits eligible employees.
The position of Accounts Payable Specialist initiates, processes, and maintains records of a variety of financial duties and associated transactions, such as A/P processing and associated tasks, in direct or indirect support of activities related to the Medical Group Finance Department. The position will also provide assistance in the development and implementation of operating policies and procedures related to Accounts Payable and Purchasing. The successful candidate must have the ability to work effectively and efficiently within a teamwork environment.
The following statements are intended to describe, in broad terms, the general functions and responsibility levels characteristic of positions assigned to this classification. They should not be viewed as an exhaustive list of the specific duties and prerequisites applicable to individual positions that have been so classified.
Under general supervision performs Accounts Payable functions. Compiles and reviews accounts payable documents and prepares for processing according to established procedures. Performs associated tasks to support activities related to the Medical Group Finance Department. Provides assistance in the development and implementation of operating policies and procedures related to Accounts Payable and Purchasing for the organization and ensures adherence to those policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Initiates expenditure documents for approval and ensures expenditure control and compliance with organizational purchasing and standard accounting procedures.
- Responds to internal and external inquiries regarding AP transactions; investigates and corresponds on outcomes of inquiry.
- Assists in the development and implementation of mechanisms and controls to ensure appropriate Accounts Payable processes, accurate vendor reporting, and maintenance of appropriate records.
- Assists in monitoring procurement and accounts payable processes, including Requisitions, for compliance with established policies, regulations, procedures, and standards.
- Monitors P-card transactions to ensure compliance with policy and maintains tracking for p-card maintenance transactions.
- Assists with reconciliation of Accounts Payable module to General Ledger balances.
- Evaluates invoice coding for appropriateness and conformity to organizational accounting standards.Ensures that appropriate supporting documentation is provided.
- Verifies employee expense reimbursement requests for reasonableness, accuracy and conformity to company policy.
- Assists in drawing, verification and posting of payment checks to appropriate vendors and/or agencies.
- Reviews professional service agreements and leases to ensure vendor invoicing is consistent with contract terms.
- Monitors vendor liability insurance and other related certifications where stipulated in agreements.
- Reviews vendor statements and resolves problems concerning the recording or provision of services rendered when appropriate.Escalates issues as appropriate. Serves as liaison between departments and vendors in the resolution of administrative problems and inquiries.
- Assists in preparation and maintenance of required records, files, and reports for Accounts Payable activities.
- Assists in the preparation of necessary reports, such as 1099 Vendor Certificates, as required.
- May assist in trainings related to AP and P-card functions.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
High School Diploma or equivalent and 1 year directly related experience. Verification of education and licensure (if applicable) will be required if selected for hire.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- General knowledge of vendor service agreements and leases.
- Ability to develop and maintain recordkeeping systems and procedures.
- Ability to apply concepts, methods, and techniques to daily functions.
- Knowledge of appropriate accounts payable practices and standards.
- Ability to monitor transactions for compliance with policies and procedures.
- Ability to analyze vendor invoices and statements for appropriateness and resolve any noted discrepancies.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Skilled in the use of personal computers and related software applications.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
Conditions of Employment
- Must be employment eligible as verified by the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services Office of Inspector General (OIG) and the Government Services Administration (GSA).
- Must pass a pre-employment criminal background check.
- Fingerprinting, and subsequent clearance, is required.
- Must provide proof of varicella & MMR immunity or obtain vaccinations within 90 days of employment.
- Must obtain annual influenza vaccination.
- If this position is assigned to a clinical area, successful candidate will be required to complete a pre-placement medical evaluation/health screen. Required N-95 mask fitting, testing, vaccinations to include annual TST, Tdap, and Hepatitis B will be determined based on location and nature of position.
Working Conditions and Physical Effort
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior/office work environment.
- No or very limited exposure to physical risk.
- No or very limited physical effort required.