Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Virginia Tech
The Virginia Tech Controllers Office is seeking to hire a Payroll Supervisor to join our team. The position reports directly to the Director of Payroll and supervises the payroll operations team (three full-time employees and up to four wage employees). This position will contribute in the day-to-day payroll function for university employees across all Virginia Tech locations using multiple systems for payroll operations and completing employment eligibility verifications (I-9) while also ensuring compliance with wage and hourly regulatory reporting requirements.
The successful candidate will provide guidance to employees and serve as a backup to payroll operations team members as needed. This would include supervision of the I-9 reporting and review functions which include reaching out to employees to obtain pertinent documents and working with departments to understand and complete I-9 forms for each new hire. The candidate will also oversee the universitys labor redistribution process, serve as a backup for Virginia Employment Commission (VEC) reporting, and complete other payroll duties as assigned.
Knowledge of payroll fundamentals and extensive payroll experience is needed to complete transactions as simple as processing tax forms and data entry into payroll systems to more complex activities, such as unemployment claim validation/calculations and determining the taxability and employability of the universitys non-resident alien population. Extensive knowledge of payroll and human resources concepts and systems is needed (e.g., employment eligibility verifications, employee benefit set-up, leave payouts, etc.).
Skill / Requirements
* Bachelors degree in business (or related field) or Associates degree (in business or related field) with significant relevant payroll experience;
* Extensive knowledge of I-9 processes and electronic systems;
* Experience interpreting and applying regulatory payroll requirements (Federal and state);
* Experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as Banner Payroll/HR or automated payroll systems in a high volume environment;
* Demonstrated experience with applicable payroll concepts and regulations (labor laws, employment classification, I-9 requirements, payments to non-resident aliens);
* Supervisory experience;
* Ability to research, investigate, analyze, reconcile and evaluate data;
* Ability to read, understand, and apply complex state and university policies and procedures;
* Demonstrated initiative to independently plan, organize and prioritize workload;
* Proficient utilizing various computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, electronic mail, and databases;
* Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to provide customer service courteously and work effectively with diverse groups of people; and
* Must be able to maintain absolute objectivity and confidentiality with all employees and all payroll related data.
* Experience with I-9 verification;
* Prior experience in a higher education setting;
* Experience with time and attendance software;
* Familiarity with Equifax;
* Experience with Banner/HR; and
* Experience with non-resident employment verification requirements.
To apply: https://listings.jobs.vt.edu/postings/93673. Review of applications will begin February 4, 2019.