Volunteers of America
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Business Office Assistant - part-time payroll/accounts payable
at Volunteers of America
We Are Inspired to Serve. Join us!
Making a difference in the lives of others - that's what working at Volunteers of America is all about. Our healthcare professionals have the opportunity each and every day to make a difference in the lives of older adults. From improving our senior citizen participant's quality of life, to creating peace of mind for them and their families, our team members know that as a part of our community, they are changing lives.
We're looking for someone who has a year of experience processing payroll and a year of experience working with accounts payable.
Hours: Will work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday from 8-4:30 pm.
Wage: $15-16 an hour
Insurance Benefits offered when working 24 hours or more a week:
Flexible Spending Account
Is responsible for paying vendors and employees in an accurate and timely manner and processes payroll.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Prepare daily bank deposit.
- Call to Cash fax.
- Deliver to bank.
2. Perform Accounts Payable functions including:
- Review all invoices for completeness, including proper coding and approval.
- Weekly input of vendor invoices into computer.
- Payment of invoices.
- File vendor documents in correct vendor files.
- Reconciling monthly vendor statements.
- Respond to questions from vendors regarding payment of invoices.
- Perform vendor file maintenance.
3. Perform payroll functions including:
- Input and maintenance of employees into the timekeeping computer and software.
- Ensure that proper documentation exists and that benefits are entitled for all special pay (vacation, paid time off, sick pay, etc.) before payment is processed.
- Complete wage verifications, raise when appropriate.
- Assist employees to ensure correct punches on API timesheets.
- Verify employees' timesheets in API. Ensure Managers have approved timesheets.
- Ensure payroll is processed properly and accurately.
- Inputs information into employee payroll screens. Process and prepare reports for direct deposit, payroll savings deductions, group insurance deductions, TSA deductions, garnishments and other employee authorized payroll deductions such as bus passes, movie passes.
- Report payroll information to the Corporate Office.
- Distribute reports to department managers on a timely basis.
- Perform employee file maintenance.
- Respond to questions from employees regarding payroll.
- File documents in employee files - maintain proper system of filing.
- File and maintain completed payroll reports.
4. Perform Resident Personal Account Functions:
- Enters personal fund deposits and withdrawals to trust ledgers.
- Updates ledgers not less than once per week.
- Applies interest quarterly to Resident Trust Ledgers.
- Prints updated ledgers daily and distributes appropriately.
- Prints and mails monthly statements to residents or family members.
- Performs month-end on personal fund accounts.
5. Perform routine office clerical duties:
- File computer generated reports.
- File all input documents in appropriate files.
- Maintain postage supply and monitor postage meter.
6. Management department inventory control program:
- Monitor supply usage, price and quality of products; make product/vendor recommendations to Executive Director.
- Requisition department supplies and equipment; inspect deliveries and invoices for accuracy; approve invoices and submit to Executive Director for review.
7. Monitor flow of printing and distribute accordingly. 8. Program Business Office Manager coverage in the absence of Business Office Manager.
- Input census changes.
- Enter bank deposit.
9. Attends required in-services & completes assigned on-line modules
10. Perform other duties as assigned by the Business Office Manager.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee may encounter while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions:
- Works in office areas, but stands and walks intermittently throughout the working day.
- Interacts with staff and other personnel.
- May be subjected to interruptions throughout the workday.
- Exposure to blood, body tissue of fluids.
- Exposure to hazardous waste materials, dust and loud or unpleasant noises.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to meet these demands:
- Is frequently required to sit throughout day.
- The employee is required to finger, feel, touch, hear, and use the phone extensively.
- Stands and walks intermittently throughout the working day.
- On occasion may lift and carry up to thirty-five (35) lbs.
- Must be able to bend, stoop, squat, reach, push and pull throughout workday.
- Works inside; working area is subject to slight increase in temperature and noise due to the operation of computer equipment.
- Ability to adapt to changes in daily work hours and schedule.
Safe Work Performance Expectations
The safety of employees, residents and visitors is of paramount importance to Volunteers of America. Our work place safety program will be incorporated as the standard of practice for this organization. Compliance with these safe work expectations will be required of all employees as a condition of employment. Our organization focus will hold all employees accountable for safety performance equal with quality and production expectations.
Employees will be expected to:
- Follow correct policy and procedures for department and facility Fire/Disaster/Missing Person Plan. Know the location of fire alarms and extinguishers.
- Follow correct policy and procedure for hand washing.
- Follow guidelines for proper method of lifting.
- All doorways, hallways and areas are to be kept clear.
- Know the location and purpose of Safety Data Sheets (SDS).
- Follow guidelines for department environment and safety measures.
- Follow guidelines for safe handling, inspection, maintenance and storage of equipment. Report any malfunction of equipment.
- Follow guidelines for safe handling and storage of chemicals and supplies.
- Follow correct policy and procedure for reporting of incidents: staff, residents, etc.
Every effort has been made to identify the essential functions of this position. However, this job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you may be required to perform. The omission of specific descriptions of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or can be considered essential to this position.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school graduate with emphasis on data processing and office procedures.
- Minimum of one-year experience in accounts payable and payroll.
- Ability to communicate in a calm and professional manner; ability to communicate and work effectively with various levels of staff, residents and family members.
- Flexibility and organization skills.
- Must be able to handle interruptions and manage time and office work.
- Ability to utilize computers and other electronic devices for tasks such as timekeeping, in-servicing and documentation.